Monday, October 25, 2010

Week 8 Reading Assignments: HTML

And now we are hitting a somewhat weak point of mine: HTML encoding. I've never been good at website building or design, so this week's readings/crash course is really appreciated. Now, on with the show!

W3schools HTML Tutorial
I like the approach of this lesson, as it breaks everything down bit by bit. For once, I'm not swimming in a sea of unexplained acronyms or confusing examples, but having the behind-the-scenes of websites displayed before me in a method I can understand.

If anything, it makes the encoding for formats on Blogger and Livejournal that much more understandable, especially with something to compare it to (in my case: comparing the formatting functions to what I would do while using Office Productivity software). I don't think I'll start building websites anytime soon (as I lack that creative spark), but at least I won't be blindsided when I need to do that sort of work.

HTML Cheatsheet
There isn't much to say about this besides being a useful reference while working on anything in HTML.

W3 School Cascading Style Sheet Tutorial
Once again, a lesson written in a way I can understand it. Unless I misread something, CSS allows the user to edit how HTML will appear on the screen. The more I look at it, it seems to be a more elaborate version of what you can do with HTML, or perhaps HTML meets C++.

I would actually like to see the methods working side by side for a better comparison as to where the limitations lie, but that is just my personal opinion and need to view things.

Beyond HTML: Developing and re-imagining library web guides in a content management system

We use a CMS at the library where I work, and while it may be faulty and have some issues, it does allow those without a programming background to design a website by focusing on just the materials and information (which is something this article mentions). In theory, and as presented in the article, there are many benefits of this method compared to working with HTML alone.

While the article states that a CMS allows customization of a site, efficiency through usability, reusable content, and the removal of a "gatekeeper" of sorts to get things done, in practice it doesn't always seem to be the case. I know the librarians who build our website have had numerous issues involving even getting the CMS to function, leading to constant calls to the "Gatekeeper" in charge of things. It can do amazing and complex things, and makes it easy to see what has been done as certain limitations and guidelines are in place, but I have to wonder if the theory behind it will ever come into the world of practice.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anthony, it was nice to meet you during the fast track weekend and work in the same library system.
    HTML and CSS. HTML is a simple page structure and CSS is an aesthetic (separation of the document structure from the visualization). CSS has potentials to decorate (backgrounds, boarders, color and visual appearance, and create custom layout). I will bring another advantage of the CSS, which is the reduction of hard disk space and amount of the bandwidth necessary for the site delivery from a server to the browser (cache of CSS file can be downloaded only ones without additional consecutive requests from web server, unless the site is updated).
    CMS.I experimented little bit with CMS and right now plan do some serious work using CMS. I like the concept behind the CMS; the way how it works, organizes, incorporates different materials, and presents to the patrons. I definitely like a preprogrammed function to post or update site when librarian is out of the office. I am optimistic regarding the implementation of CMS into wide practice (implementation of CMS is the same as implementation of any new system into library or other business; has problems at the beginning and takes time for the personnel to adapt to a new “techy” tool; eventually benefits/pitfalls are seen; adapted or refuted). Again, time changes and technology develops; soon enough we might see a “perfect” tool suited for the library services. However, as Churchill said “there is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction”.

    ReplyDelete